International Students

The University of Kansas welcomes international students from more than 100 countries who contribute to the intellectual and cultural diversity of our campus. The information below is specifically for our international students.

Please contact International Support Services for additional information and assistance.

Health Insurance

Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all individuals in F-1, J-1 or J-2 status, whose I-20 or DS-2019 is sponsored by the University of Kansas. United Healthcare’s Student Resources insurance premium is automatically included on all F-1 and J-1 students’ Enroll & Pay accounts at the time the student enrolls in classes. Student who have a 50% GTA, GRA or GA appointment are eligible for the University’s 75% contribution to the insurance premium. Additional questions regarding GTA, GRA or GA staff benefits should be directed to Human Resource Management at or 785-864-4946.

Alternatively, students who do not wish to participate in the United Health Care insurance plan can show proof of adequate insurance coverage from another provider, but must complete the waiver process through International Support Services at or 785-864-3617. More information can be found on the​ ISS website.


Glacier is an international taxation website used by the University of Kansas to determine an international employee's tax status. Glacier determines if the international employee is qualified for extra withholding exemptions and/or tax treaty benefits.

Glacier records are not required for US Citizens, U.S. Permanent Residents, Refugees and those in asylum status, or for non-resident aliens living and working outside the United States.

Glacier records are required for foreign nationals in any other status and will receive a tax reportable payment from the University of Kansas. For example, students who are receiving a scholarship.

The IRS requires the University of Kansas to collect information that is relevant to a foreign national's tax residency status. This information must be documented and maintained for the following types of payments:

  • Scholarships, fellowships and grants awarded by KU.
  • Wages from KU employment.
  • Lectures or performances given at KU.

Who Must Use Glacier?

If you are an international student who has received a scholarship, fellowship or grant or are employed by the university, you must complete a Glacier record.

  • You will receive an email from Student Account Services with “Glacier Paperwork Required” in the subject line. You must read this for detailed instructions on the Glacier process.
  • You also will receive an email from the Glacier system ( containing access information for Glacier.

If you are earning wages from the University of Kansas, please access the Payroll website for additional Glacier information. Student Account Services only deals with scholarships, fellowships and grants.

Required Documentation

You will need the following information:

  • Your passport and visa information, as well as U.S. entry and exit dates for any current and previous visits.
  • The information provided in the emails from Student Account Services and the Glacier email from
  • Your Social Security Number or ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number). If you don’t have a Social Security Number or ITIN, you must contact Legal Services for Students to set up an appointment to apply for one.

Completing the Process

Once you have completed the application, you must bring a copy to Student Account Services before we can release your scholarship, fellowship or grant. After you have completed the online record, print out the Glacier Tax Summary Report and all supporting documents and forms. It is very important that you sign and date where ever a signature is required. The Tax Summary Report will provide you with a list of forms and documents that need to accompany the Tax Summary Report when turned in to Student Account Services.

Failure to provide a complete packet of information will delay your scholarship, fellowship or grant.

Once your Glacier file is complete, Student Account Services will determine if any part of your award is taxable. If so, the amount of tax charged will show on your student account as “NRA Scholarship Withholding.”

The Financial Aid & Scholarship Office will be notified and they will post your award to your student account based on their disbursement schedule. If there is a balance due on your student account, your award will apply to that amount first before any refund generates. KU policy requires that you set up direct deposit for any refunds that will be issued from your student account.

Important Tips

  • Always read any emails that have “Glacier” or “Student Account Services” in the subject line. These emails contain important information regarding your student account.
  • Glacier is required of all international students receiving scholarships, grants and fellowships. Updates will be requested yearly or when your tax status is subject to change.
  • Do your Glacier paperwork in a timely manner. Your awards cannot be posted to your student account until Student Account Services has your completed Glacier paperwork.
  • Setup direct deposit so you will get your refunds faster.
  • If you have any questions, call Student Account Services at 785-864-3322.

Tax Reporting / 1042-S

Students who are Non-Resident Aliens may be subject to both Federal and State income taxes if their scholarship exceeds the amount of their tuition and required fees. The excess may be taxed at 19% (14 Fed/5 State) or 35% (30 Fed/5 State).

International students will receive an email from Glacier ( and must enter information in Glacier online, then return the necessary forms to the appropriate offices. If the income is determined taxable, the excess income will be reported to the state and Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If taxed on the scholarship/fellowship, the student will receive a 1042-S form in the mail from the State of Kansas for tax purposes. It is the student’s responsibility to file their taxes. Depending on your country’s treaty status with the United States, you may or may not be taxed on scholarships.