Forms & Policies

Student Requirements

Students must agree to this each semester in order to be able to enroll for courses.  Failure to agree will require you to enroll in person at the Visitor's Center.

The University of Kansas' official method of correspondence with students is via the assigned University of Kansas email address.  By accepting this agreement, you consent to the University communicating with you in electronic form via your assigned KU email address.  It is your responsibility to monitor your KU email account and to take appropriate actions as indicated in official communications.

By logging into the KU "Enroll & Pay" system, you are consenting to conduct transactions and enter into agreements electronically, with no paper confirmations of said transactions/agreements to be provided.  These transactions/agreements may occur at any time during your academic career, including actions related to admissions, class scheduling, financial aid, advising, financial responsibilities, graduation, etc.  These transactions/agreements may incur financial obligations.

Despite this consent, the University may provide communications and engage in transactions with you in paper form at any time.

Once you have read and are confident that you understand all of the terms and conditions of this Student Financial Responsibility Agreement ("Agreement"), you should indicate your consent and continue to enroll for your class(es).

You will not be able to proceed with enrollment until you have read and agreed to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.  Please read the full agreement details below.  If you have any questions, please contact Lawrence Student Accounts & Receivables at 785-864-3322 or the KUMC Student Financial Accounting Office at 913-588-2590.

My Responsibility

I acknowledge that enrolling for courses at the University of Kansas and acceptance of these terms constitutes a promissory note agreement (i.e., a financial obligation to the University in the form of an educational loan as defined by U.S. Bankruptcy Code at 11 US §523(a)(8)). I understand and agree that I have personal financial responsibility for the payment of all tuition, fees, and other University of Kansas/University of Kansas Medical Center (“KU” or “University”) charges on my student account relating to my enrollment and/or attendance at KU. I understand that, regardless of any expected reliance on any third-party resources, including but not limited to financial aid, family resources, employer reimbursement, government assistance or any other external resources, I remain personally and solely responsible for paying any and all outstanding balances.  

Student Age

I understand and agree that if I am younger than the applicable age of majority when I execute this agreement that the educational services provided by The University of Kansas are a necessity, and I am contractually obligated pursuant to the "doctrine of necessities".


After I enroll, I understand that my bill will be made available online and I will be sent notification of its availability to my University ( or e-mail address.  I agree that it is my responsibility to review my account status and my student e-mail account regularly.  If I do not receive an e-mail notification, I agree that I am still responsible for the required payment and it is my responsibility to log into Enroll & Pay to view and pay any and all charges by the due date.  The current published tuition and fees schedules are available at the Registrar website Tuition and fees charges are subject to change every semester.

Third-Party Sources or Financial Aid

If I expect third party sponsors or financial aid to pay all or part of my financial obligation to the University, I understand that it is my responsibility to meet all requirements of grantors, lenders, employers, and other third parties on a timely basis to ensure disbursement of financial aid or sponsorships to my student account. I understand that if my financial aid or sponsorship is reduced or cancelled for any reason, I remain responsible for any outstanding balance and for reimbursing the University any amounts that I am not eligible to receive.  I also agree that KU may discuss my account with any third party sponsors.

Payment Due Date

Payment for all outstanding charges is due the 15th of every month.

Late Fees

I understand KU will assess a $100 late payment fee for the first and second month of the Fall and Spring terms ($50 for Summer term) for any unpaid tuition and fee balances and thereafter a 1.5% charge if I fail to pay in full by the due date.  I understand that payment by debit or credit card is subject to a non-refundable 2.85% convenience fee for the transaction.  I understand that I am responsible for payment of the convenience fee even if the charge is later disputed.

Returned Check Charge

I understand that each check returned to KU is subject to a $30 service charge.  I understand that future payments on an account that incur such a charge must be made by cashier's check or money order.

Tuition Adjustment:

I understand dropping hours or totally withdrawing from KU may result in charges owed to KU based on the classes dropped and the dates of the drop or withdrawal.  Information on dropping or withdrawing can be found online at Registrar website . I understand if I withdraw from a term or drop classes after a class begins, I will be responsible for all or a percentage of the tuition charged. The adjustments of tuition will be made in accordance with KU's academic calendar for classes that meet the full term and the short course list dates for classes with alternate dates.  I understand that it is my responsibility to withdraw from the University by using Enroll & Pay within the appropriate deadlines for any semester to avoid financial obligation.  Contact the Office of the University Registrar immediately if there are error messages or constraints in using the online process.  I further understand that my failure to attend class or receive a bill does not absolve me of my financial responsibility.

Treatment of Federal Financial Aid Program Funds (Title IV Funds)

If I am a recipient of Title IV grant or loan assistance (e.g., Federal Pell Grants, Stafford Loans, PLUS loans, Federal Perkins Loans) and I withdraw from KU during the semester, KU must determine the amount of the Title IV grant or loan assistance (excluding Federal Work Study) that was earned as of my withdrawal date based on a specific formula.  I understand that if I withdraw during the semester and have received unearned Title IV funds, those funds must be returned to the appropriate Title IV programs.  I agree that I am responsible for returning to KU any Title IV funds that were disbursed directly to me and for which I am determined to be ineligible based on the return of Title IV funds calculation.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that I must return is called an overpayment.  KU will notify me of the overpayment amount for which I will be responsible to repay and provide a copy of the return of Title IV funds calculation.  I agree to pay the overpayment in full to KU within 45 days of notification or I will be subject to the University's receivable collections process.  If I am unable to pay the overpayment in full to KU, I may also make satisfactory arrangements to repay with the Department of Education.  Before doing so, I will contact KU Student Account Services or KUMC Student Financial Accounting for better coordination with the agency on repayment.  I understand that this responsibility is separate from any funds owed to KU to cover unpaid institutional charges, however, KU may also charge me for any amount of unearned Title IV program funds that KU was required to return on my behalf to the Department of Education.  For any loan funds that must be returned, I agree to repay in accordance with terms of the promissory note.

No Refunds under $1.00

I understand that any credit balance less than $1.00 will not be refunded.  A dormancy charge equal to the credit balance will be placed on the account.

Placement of Financial Holds

I understand KU will place a Financial Hold on my student record if I fail to pay all charges assessed to my student account by the due date. I also understand this Financial Hold will prevent the release of my academic transcripts and diploma and will prevent me from enrolling in future semesters until the debt to KU has been paid in full.

Billing Disputes

I understand that if I believe a charge on my bill is incorrect, it is my responsibility to contact the department or office that has assessed the charge.  If I need more information about a transaction on my account, I will write or contact KU Student Account Services or KUMC Student Financial Accounting immediately.


All notices required to be given by KU in connection with my account shall be sent to my KU-issued email account and deemed received when the email enters the KU information processing system for my KU-issued email account.  I acknowledge that account information is considered received when the information is sent.  Any notices sent to my mailing address are deemed to have been delivered on the day they are deposited in the U.S. mail, properly addressed and with postage prepaid.  It is my responsibility to keep all of my contact information up to date for the purposes of continued communication regarding any amounts that remain due and owing to KU.

Collection Activity on Past Due Accounts

I understand that if my account becomes delinquent, KU reserves the right to pursue legal action against me, to transfer my delinquent account to a collection agency/third party servicer/Kansas State Setoff and/or report any delinquency to credit bureau(s). In addition to my outstanding balance, I agree to pay the University’s costs and fees, which may be assessed up to the maximum percentage permitted by law, together with all costs and expenses including attorneys' fees and the fees of third party servicer/collection agencies, incurred in any litigation or collection activity resulting from my failure to pay.  I also acknowledge that collection agency fees will be added to my delinquent account.  I agree and authorize KU to use my social security number for internal and external credit reporting and collection purposes for all fees and charges incurred against my account until the indebtedness has been paid in full.


I acknowledge that the enrollment action constitutes a financial obligation between me and the University and all proceeds of this agreement will be used for educational purposes, for KU to provide me educational services, and constitute an educational loan pursuant to 11 U.S.C. §523(a)(8).  I understand and agree educational and related fees that are charged to my student account are non-dischargeable in bankruptcy absent an undue hardship determination and will remain due after the bankruptcy is discharged, pursuant to United States Bankruptcy Code, 11 U.S.C. §523(a)(8).

Electronic Business and Communication - Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)

I agree to conduct business, including but not limited to signing this Agreement and incurring financial obligations, with KU electronically.  I authorize KU and its agents, representatives, attorneys, and contractors (including collection agencies) to contact me at the current or any future cellular phone number or wireless device, home phone number and email address I provide to KU, including by way of automated telephone dialing equipment, or artificial or prerecorded voice or text messages, for purposes of University business, including receiving notifications pursuant to this Agreement and collecting any portion of my student financial obligation which is due or past due.  Further, I understand that I may withdraw my consent by submitting my request in writing to KU Student Account Services or KUMC Student Financial Accounting or in writing to the applicable contractor or agent contacting me on behalf of KU.

IRS Form 1098T

I agree to provide my Social Security number (SSN) or taxpayer identification number (TIN) to the University of Kansas upon request as required by Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations for Form 1098-T reporting purposes.  If I fail to provide my SSN or TIN to the University, I agree to pay any and all IRS penalties assessed as a result of my missing SSN/TIN.  I consent to receive my IRS Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, electronically for each year that I have reportable transactions. I understand that I can withdraw this consent and receive a paper statement by contacting Student Accounts & Receivables at for Lawrence students or for KUMC students.

Governing Laws

This Agreement is governed by the laws of the State of Kansas and all applicable federal laws.  Any provision of this Agreement that is rendered null and void by the operation of this provision shall not invalidate the remainder of this Agreement, to the extent capable of execution.

KU Policy

I acknowledge and agree that this Agreement does not alter my obligations under the policies of the University of Kansas, which are set forth at policy website, and that this Agreement should be read in concert with such policies.

I hereby acknowledge I have read this Agreement in its entirety and understand it.  By clicking on the I AGREE button below, I am consenting to be bound by this Agreement.