• Home
  • Departmental Deposits
  • Deposits
  • Reduction of Expense

Student Accounts & Receivables is open by appointment only, with reduced hours. Walk-in appointments are not allowed. See our Appointments page for further information. Staff continues to work remotely as well and is available for assistance by phone at 785-864-3322 or by email at stu.account@ku.edu. The office will be closed from Thursday, December 24 through Friday, January 1. We will reopen on Monday, January 4.

Department Deposit for Reduction of Expense

A general operating rule for deposits is payments received from an external organization should be deposited to a revenue account.  Reduction of Expense is not common for deposits but may occur.  The following are guidelines:

  • A refund check is received for an overpayment of actual cost due
  • Purchasing issues resulting in a vendor issuing a check back to KU
  • Repayment is received for posted transactions that aren’t allowable (ex. unauthorized PCARD charges)
  • Payment is received from KUEA for expenditures made using state funds which appropriately should have been paid by KUEA funds

When entering a department deposit with reduction of expense, department should indicate YES on the Miscellaneous Deposit Form, make reference in the comments of the voucher number and date of the original expenditure and other supportive notes. 

Student Accounts & Receivables reviews all Miscellaneous Deposit Forms indicating reduction of expense or with an expense code in the funding.  If the deposit does not apparently meet general guidelines or provide supporting documentation for assessment of the accounting, Shared Service Center will be consulted to re-evaluate the use of reduction of expense coding. 

Contact Information

KU Student Accounts & Receivables
1246 West Campus Road, Room 1
Lawrence, KS 66045

What would you like to do?

How do I view my bill?

The University of Kansas does not mail paper invoices; instead you will be notified by email that a new eBill has been generated. To obtain your eBill, login to Enroll & Pay, select the Student Financials Tile, select Account Services, and then select Print or View a Bill

What are my payment options?

  • PAY ONLINE through Enroll & Pay with eCheck, Bank Wire or credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express)
  • Mail in a personal check, cashier's check or money order to the above address.
  • Pay in person with check or money order. In person payments can be put into the drop box located on the loading dock behind Carruth O'Leary, on the east side of the buliding. Please include your name and KU ID Number, and put your payment inside of an envelope.
  • A payment plan4 through Nelnet is another option. There is a deadline each semester to enroll. Payments must be made by the 1st of each month to Nelnet to avoid late fees. This plan is not for past due balances owed to KU.

How do I sign up for direct deposit?

Sign up through Enroll & Pay by selecting the Student Financials Tile and then clicking the Direct Deposit link from the left-hand menu, OR fill out a Direct Deposit Authorization Form (pdf) and bring it to KU Student Accounts & Receivables.

What if I want to appeal a late fee?

Go to the KU Registrar’s home page and complete an online Fee Petition under the “Tuition & Fees” link

How do I access my 1098-T tax form?

In Enroll & Pay select the Student Financials Tile, select Account Services, and then select 1098-T. The first time you retrieve a 1098-T electronically, you (or your student) need to read the 1098-T consent agreement, then click the green “submit” button.

To Do Checklist
  • Sign up for Direct Deposit. This is University policy. Refunds will be delayed if a direct deposit account is not on file.
  • Set Up Delegates. A delegate will have access to designated information in your account and allows KU to discuss your account with the designated individuals. This could be a parent/guardian, spouse, or another designated individual.
  • Set Up Payment Delegates in TouchNet. This will allow delegates to make payments on your student account.
  • 1098-T Reporting.  Provide your Social Security Number to the Registrar's Office for 1098-T tax purposes. Failure to do so may result in a fee assessed to you by the IRS.
  • Keep Your Contact Information Updated.  Log into Enroll & Pay > Personal Details.
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today