Departments or Shared Service Centers that receive or collect money (physically held currency) for any type of programs, events, or other income for product or services must on a daily basis or any given day that funds are received do the following:
- Miscellaneous Departmental Deposit for Tender Type Cash/Checks (CCK): Total the coin, currency and checks received and processed for the business day.
- Bank Deposit: Prepare a deposit slip and prepare a tamperproof bank bag for each single deposit containing coin, currency, and checks to be deposited at the bank. It would be ideal to list each check # for research purposes on the deposit slip or in the deposit journal. If there are too many, list the number of checks included in the deposit on the deposit slip next to the check amount. Each bank bag must show the Date, Submitter’s first and last name, Department Name, Deposit Amount. Lack of information on the deposit bag will delay the funds from being sent to the bank.
- Content of the deposit bag should only include money and the deposit slip. Miscellaneous Deposit Form is not a deposit slip.
- Drop Box: Seal the tampered proof bank deposit bag and place it in a designated drop box located behind Carruth O’Leary Hall to be couriered to the bank.
- Miscellaneous Deposit FormForm should be completed in accordance with business process established. For funds received by the Departments, Department staff will complete the Miscellaneous Deposit Form with proper accounting and submit to the Shared Service Center along with any supporting documentation for the deposit. Details regarding the deposit or itemized listing per customer payment, amount and type of funds received may be entered in the form for record keeping. SSC representative will review the form and submit to Student Accounts & Receivables at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Miscellaneous Deposit Form may be downloaded from the Financial System Resource Center site: Link
For funds directly deposited in the university bank account by ACH, wire or settlement from credit card processing, deposits are required to be processed on a daily basis. Department will complete the Miscellaneous Deposit Form and send to the Shared Service Center along with supportive documentation for the deposit. Who will review the form and documentation and submit the form to the Student Accounts & Receivables. Must on a daily basis agree and complete the Miscellaneous Deposit Form.
Instructions to complete the Miscellaneous Deposit Form (MDF)
- Submit separate forms for UKANS vs. KURES deposits per instruction on form.
- Only one tender type can be submitted on a form (see instructions below).
- A separate deposit form should be completed for each business day’s activity for each tender type.
- A separate deposit form should be completed for each bank deposit bag.
- Do not insert the MISC Deposit Form in Bank Bag.
- This form is not used for deposits going into KUEA accounts.
Email subject line should be entered as:
DEP MM/DD/YY Department Name Bag #. Example, DEP 12/7/17 Student Accounts & Receivables SAR1234567.
Cash/Check Tender Type: Example, DEP 12/7/17 Student Accounts & Receivables SAR1234567.
ACH or Wire and M/V/D/A Tender Types: Example, DEP 12/7/17 Student Accounts & Receivables SAR120717.
“Department: Submitted by” fields should be completed in full by department staff. When SSC staff are initiating the form the department name represents the department receiving the revenue and/or reduction of expense. The department name should be spelled out (no abbreviations) and should not reflect the SSC. The business date is the day the business activity was conducted.
“SSC: Submitted by” fields should be completed in full by SSC staff. The staff name should reflect the first and last name (no initials) of the SSC staff submitting the deposit form. The date field in this section indicates submission date.
Reduction of expense:
Enter "NO" in this field if form does not include reductions of expense transaction. Enter "YES" in this field if the deposit contains a reduction of expense (account code begins with 5). Make sure that the original expenditure transaction ID is referenced with the justification in the comment box.
All segment fields per line should be completed. If there is not a value, enter the default values as shown below.
- Fund (3 digits)
- Account Code(6 digits)
- Use correct account codes
- Revenue begins with 4
- Expenses begin with 5
- Cost Center (7 digits)
- CF1 (Chartfield 1--10 digits) = 0000000000
- Program Code (4 digits) = 0000
- Reimbursable (10 digits) = 0000000000
- Project (10 digits) = 0000000000
Funds 720, 721 or 725 should not be entered on this form.
Amount entered in the entered Debit or Deposit Amount field should always reflect a postive number. No negative numbers should be entered as an amount. Negative amount values cannot be processed in the FITC accounting system.
The Entered Debit field is hidden in column I on the form. Unhide the columns to use this field. Please work with Student Accounts & Receivables and KUCR Fiscal Affairs Offices if entering data into this field. The Entered Debit field should be used when the department is working with Student Accounts & Receivables to return an ACH or wire payment received in error or funds received by ACH or wire that should have been sent to KUCR. KUCR may use this field to record offsetting expenses related to certain deposit entries.
The Deposit Amount represents the accounting credit to record revenue or to reverse an expense. All transaction lines must have an amount.
Enter the information about the transaction. This information will be stored in the accounting record and pulled into reports.
Tender types must be separated as follows:
- Cash/Check (CCK report code)
- Credit Card by batch includes Visa, M/C, DISC, and AMEX (CCD report code)
- ACH or Wire (WRT report code)
- eCheck (ECK report code)
Bank Bag Number:
If your tender type is cash/check, enter the department acronym followed by the numeric bank bag number (do not use the alpha characters on the bank bag). Example, SAR1234567 For any other tender type, enter the department acronym followed by the business date in MMDDYY format. Example, SAR010518
This is an optional field that can be used for more information about the payment received.
Sales Tax Code:
Sales Tax Code must be entered on all lines using a sales tax account. State of Kansas sales tax is a destination tax which means that sales tax is charged based on where the customer receives the respective goods and services unless they have a non-taxable designation. When receiving revenue for an item that also includes sales tax, this field must be completed with the appropriate Jurisdiction Code that represents a Kansas county and/or city proper location. Pub. KS-1700 Sales & Use Tax Jurisdiction Code Booklet-Instructions can be found on the Kansas Department of Revenue Division of Taxation web site. Quarterly updates to sales tax rates can currently be found at KSRevenue
Post Award Approval:
Any deposit with a project must be approved by KUCR Post Award before processing.
Use this field if you have any other special instructions for SSC Staff or KUCR Fiscal Affairs.
Related Policies and Links:
Departmental Deposit Policy (Link to Policy Library)
Departmental Receipts Policy (Link to Policy Library)
Returned Checks Policy (Link to Policy Library)
Safety and Security of Funds (Link to Policy Library)
Sales Tax (Link to Policy Library)